A Perfect Summer Day...In So Many Ways!

Yesterday was one of those most magnificent summer days.
You know the kind....warm, but not hot,
no humidity,
puffy white clouds on an electric blue sky,
cicadas gone....birds singing again.
Perfect!

I had a little time after AM chores, while waiting for the dewy grass to dry,
(while waiting to start the day's mowing...goat pens and bee yard...which by the way
was a fiasco...and I ended up being swarmed by angry bees and stung....OWWW!)

Back to my tale...

Every few weeks I take a morning and trim hooves,
clip bridle paths, and do a little maintenance on the Bigs and Littles.

Yesterday's beautiful weather inspired another Pony Spa Day.

Red was top on the list and got the full treatment...
hairdo...


a little trim....


 a pedicure....


and a little attention to the hind end.


While Ollie, who had rolled in mud and manure needed all of the above
and a bath.
Here he is before, looking just a bit bedraggled...


and after...


so white, you need sunglasses to look at him!

Moonbeam, my halflinger, also got a bath and a clipping.
He loves to show off...

"Aren't I just the most handsome fellow?" he says as he strikes a pose.

Morning chores soon ran into afternoon chores.
This time, Tyler came along.
He's not living at the farm full time any more,
but is only here on occasion.
When he is here, we spend a bit of time visiting all of the animals.
He loves to ride in Grammie's gator.


He is learning to gently pet the animals.
If there is one lesson that he will learn from his Grammie,
it is kindness and respect for our animal friends.



Come into the henhouse with us,
we have something curious to show you.


Do you see this tiny brown egg?



It is a deep dark brown egg.
The first dark brown egg to be layed in a house that until now
has only seen tiny white or pale tan eggs (from my fancy hens).
Now that the Marans are here, we will be getting dark brown eggs as well.


Now the curious thing is this....
most sources say hens start to lay around 6 months of age...sometimes earlier.
But, these gals are only 4 months old.
By the way, they spend a good portion of the day in a maple tree by the barn....
curious hens!
Stay tuned and I will let you know if any more dark brown eggs appear.

While we were touring the farm, we stopped and picked a peach...
Tyler's first.


Hmmmmm, what is this?


He loved it and ate the whole thing!



Not bad for a guy with only 9 teeth.


"That was yummy, Grammie!  Can I have another?"


 Two peaches and 20 grapes straight from the arbor...
this little guy has quite an appetite!
I love being able to feed him fresh produce that we grow right here on the farm!


Comments

Country Gal said…
What a fantastic morning ! Not the bee stings mind you but none the less My kind of morning ! I love minuature ponies and Haflingers, my sister has a Haflinger they are a great breed ! You are a lucky lady . Our dream is to have a hobbie farm with miny ponies,cows,goats you name it ! I was raised on a hobbie farm , I miss all the animals ! Awesome photos and post ! Have a wonderful day !
Teresa said…
Truly does sound like a perfect day! My tree has its first peaches this year, but an early hail storm has them looking a bit sad. Still the squirrels and geese seem to like them.
Good Morning Bev!
The sky is rumbling and big dark clouds are getting closer but our temps are finally back to normal. Yesterday sounded like a beautiful day for you and your grandson to hang out on the farm...what a SWEETHEART! He sure did a good job on that peach LOL! It's a great feeling to pick your own produce isn't it. I'll be heading out to pick tomatoes and cantaloupe once the storm is over. I hope this day is a good one for you too!
Maura :)
It's me again Bev, I forgot to tell you that you did a wonderful job of trimming the pony's hooves and making them pretty again. Tell me...how long did it take for them to get dirty again?....just wondering ;) Love the dark brown egg. We have one that shows up every once in a while too...don't know why that happens but it's always fun to see it when it does. Enjoy your eggs and hopefully another beautiful day....
Maura :)
This N That said…
What a ham Moonbeam is !! He is very handsome....Everybody looks so fresh and clean..Except Tyler..Mr "full of fruit"...What an adorable picture of him...
Cindy said…
What a beautiful day you (and I) had. This weather is perfect! I am taking a break from weeding. So much easier today.
Your grandson is the cutest. I can't wait till mine is old enough to take around the gardens and feed fresh fruits and veggies. Though he will get that at his house. His daddy (my son) is an avid gardener.
Have a great weekend. I think we've got rain coming...so you will probably get it too.
Jessica Marie said…
Oh I love your blog. :) And I'm glad Tyler has someone to teach him love and respect for critters from such a young age! And he even likes fruit! That little guy's gonna grow up just right, haha.
Thanks again for sharing your journeys with us. They're always a joy to see. :)
Suzan said…
Tyler is so smart for his age!! PEACHES are the BEST!!
Elizabeth said…
I bet his mommy hated changing his diaper the next day though! :) What a cutie - and what a beautiful day on the farm! I wish we lived closer so that I could bring my three kiddos for a farm tour!
KatyDidStitches said…
First, tomatoes...and now, peaches! That Tyler knows how to eat the good stuff! My favs, as well.

Kathy
Unknown said…
Melt my heart ... he is adorable. Love those peachy smiles. Your horses are gorgeous!

Would you be so kind to (& tell your friends) comment on my BLOG ONLY (emails don’t count), for the Miracle Makeover fund drive. Charlie, 8 yr. old, & his story are fabulous. Every comment brings us a $1 for the next person that will be sponsored.

Have a beautiful weekend.
Hugs,
TTFN ~
Marydon
blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com
littlekarstar said…
Such a gorgeous day and gorgeous creatures ! :) I can't wait for spring. So cold over here. Love that you are getting eggs already!