November is Here....Winter is Around the Corner!

The past two weeks brought summer-like temperatures.
By the end of last week, however, the winds
brought a harbinger of winter....
cold...
frost on the few vegetables that remain in our garden.
The colder temperatures convinced the trees
to shed their remaining leaves.


Each changing season brings with it
a set list of chores.
Getting ready for the next season is a part of farm life.
Putting the garden to bed,
mulching the fruit trees and blueberries,
closing the pool,
covering all of the seating areas that grace
the most scenic parts of the farm
are just a few of the tasks on Autumn's list.


We have picked the last of summer's bounty...
lettuce, spinach, broccoli and peppers.


This week I will pull out the remaining plants
and mulch the garden boxes with compost.


A few herbs and some ornamental kale
will be the only color left in the garden
until winter's icy grip takes them too.

I wanted to share with you our decision regarding....
the turkeys.
I will be ordering organic free range turkeys 
from our local health food store
for our Thanksgiving dinner.

My plan is to see how they tolerate the winter.
Their house is equipped with an infra red heat lamp,
as is all of our chicken coops.

If winter is too stressful,
then, future turkeys will be grown and eaten for
Thanksgiving.
For now, however, we add 3 turkeys to our 
growing list of yard ornaments!!

PS:  Sid continues to heal...
Becky says that some areas of his nose look
better than others.
We are hoping that his recuperation continues,
without any problems.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Heaters in the chicken and turkey coops? Shhh! Please don't tell my chickens and turkeys that. They will all want to come live with you.
My birds do great all winter with just good shelter. I also rub wattles and combs with vaseline to keep frostbite away and add some extra corn to their feed ration. The only heaters are on the waterers which keep them from freezing.
Heather in PA
Carla said…
Looks like your chores are just about done for right now.
I believe turkeys make fine yard ornaments. I've always wanted them, but haven't taken the leap yet.
Unknown said…
It is always a little sad to shut down the gardens and the yard this time of year. On the one hand, it is nice that there is not so much work to do (outside) but I always miss being outside. The older I get the less I like the cold!
Congrats on your wonderful garden bounty!
Anonymous said…
YAY..more yard ornaments..it may be easier to eat one if you had moe than 3....I too spent the weekend winterizing.the gaarage is full of wicker furniture,plant containers and pond equipment...still need to empty 2 of my rain barrels this week...at least one :)
3Ms
taylorgirl6 said…
I still have so many chores to get done before winter sets in for good. Yesterday we "pruned" the lilac tree into a bush again. I don't think that's been done in over twenty years.

What type of turkeys are you raising?
JudiB said…
Way to go on the Turkeys. Can totally relate to how you feel. Just love the personality of turkeys. Do yours follow you around like a dog? Miss Waddle even went for rides in the pickup..lol. People still talk about her.
We have had a few snow flurrys here so it won't be long before we will be shovelling it. Part of me loves the winter!
I am sure with the garden finished you will still find lots to do.

Judi B.
Junebug said…
I'm so happy for the turkeys! My chickens have a heat lamp in their coop but it isn't cold yet in our part of the world. But it is there when it does. I still have some winter work to do but my weekend was very busy with grand kids!! Thanks for the farm update!!
Kent Island Red said…
YAY for the turkeys :-)!! I'm so happy about your decision.
Janean said…
oh.....that decorative kale....be still my heart!
countrynmore said…
I am so glad that you spared your turkeys from the Thanksgiving table.