Pennsylvania's electricity has been de-regulated. As of last month the price of electricity has risen by about 30%. With this added expense we have tried to cut our usage back as low as possible. Our heat source for the log home is an electric geo-thermal heat pump. This past weekend we turned it OFF. We have switched over to the wood fireplace as our heat source. I am happy to report that it is warmer in the house with the wood burning, than it was with the geo-thermal. Our fireplace is a Fireplace Xtraordinare. It has a catalytic converter that the smoke passes through...burning the smoke as well. As a result, it has a lower impact on the environment than a normal fireplace. A blower transfers the heat from the firebox into the room, making it highly efficient.
I am able to dry my hair in front of the blower, eliminating the need for my blowdryer. Also, a wooden drying rack set in front of the fireplace replaces the need for our dryer on laundry day. I am eager to see how this affects our electric bill.
(I'll have this all folded and put away before Hubbs gets home!)
By the way, it is cold and drizzly outside, but it is a toasty 72 degrees upstairs in the loft and sewing room and 69 degrees on the main level. Much warmer than that is too warm for me and more so for my girls (dogs).
Eventually,when solar power technology becomes more advanced and affordable, we would like to get off the energy grid entirely.
And just because I hate to leave you without something cute...here is your smile for the day...