Thursday, July 3, 2008
It seems that every summer comes with an inevitable drought in August. In an attempt to conserve water we fashioned rain barrels from 50 gallon drums. They are atttached to the downspout from the barn and connected to each other by hoses. The downspout connection has a valve that shuts off the flow to the barrels when they are full and sends the overflow down the rest of the downspout. We started with 2 barrels which very quickly filled up with last week's rains. We had to saw off the top of each barrel so that we can dip a bucket down into the water. I used this water today to water our fruit trees and grape vines.One of today's chores was to add 2 more barrels.... just in time, I might add, as we experienced quite a downpour this evening.
Posted by Beverly at 8:13 PM